Ground water often finds its way into a house’s lower level, requiring the need for a sump pump. It is far beyond aggravating and destructive, it is an absolute nuisance. Many homeowners face this dilemma. Back-ups involving the mucky stuff that one never really wants to encounter are very real. One massive storm can fill a basement with water without the use of a sump pump.
So when the sump pump fails, what do you do? Call on the plumbers at All Ways Drains. We can help you with any and all sump pump problems, providing repair or replacement services. We offer the following tips to help you in your effort to make sump pump issues a thing of the past:
Inside of your house:
- Be sure to have a back-up battery for your sump pump
- Implement a sewer backflow check valve, especially if sewage has ever backed up through your floor drain
- Perform annual maintenance checks to make sure your sump pump is working by following these steps:
- Remove cover from sump pump pit
- Ensure drain hose is properly connected
- Slowly pour water into the pit
- Fill the pit until the float rises high enough for pump to be activated
- If these steps do not get the sump pump working, call in a plumber
Outside of your house:
- Place covers over window wells
- Ensure proper drainage occurs moving flow away from the foundation of the home
- If trees are growing anywhere near the foundation of your home, remove them as roots can crack the foundation walls allowing water to enter
- Install and ensure gutters and downspouts are clean and fully functional
- Install downspout extensions if water from the downspout collects near the home’s foundation
You may have some very valid concerns regarding the potential failure of your sump pump, whether you are home or away. Look into municipal water powered back-up sump pump options as well as back-up sump pumps attached to batteries. The battery option can be worrisome as batteries do lose their power.
Should water be collecting in your lower level or if you need to force away sewage water, we will be happy to help you with sump pump repairs or installation. This is a specialized field that requires knowledge of pump ratings and the requirements of proper installation. Call us with your questions, and we’ll be happy to provide you with more information.